BY QUADRI SALIU
Senator Ali Ndume, the Chairman, Senate Committee on Army has queried reasons the arrested 400 Bureau De Change operators sponsoring Boko Haram is said to be Confidential.
As killing by these terrorists soars, the Senator who is representing Borno South Senatorial District in the National Assembly urged the Buharls led administration to release their identity
While speaking with reporters in Abuja on Sunday, Udeme said: “Now that the Bureau De Change operators are arrested, what will the government do with them. The presidency is already saying their case is confidential. What is confidential about it?”
According to him, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, had March, said the Nigerian Government had arrested some Bureau De Change operators who were facilitating the transfer of money to Boko Haram terrorists.
“The presidency should expose the identities of all the BDC operators so far arrested and carry out their trial in public.
“If any of them is innocent, he should be allowed to go while those found guilty must be made to face the music.
“When I was wrongly accused, I was tried publicly and I was vindicated. The trial lasted six years in an open court. If there is any criminal activity linked to anybody. No matter how highly placed, let the evidence be placed before the public, there should be no secret trial.
“Nowadays, criminals are arrested and paraded without further action. Does nobody know what happens to the people who killed 11 soldiers in Benue State recently?
“What happened to those who beheaded policemen in Cross River State?
“If everyone is doing what he is supposed to do as defined by our constitution and laws, we would not have these problems. Citizens should expose suspicious movements.”
On the travel advisory by the US government to its citizens planning to travel to Nigeria, Ndume said, there was no big deal about such warnings.
He said, “America has the right to advise its citizens on the issue of security just the same way I won’t advise anybody to travel anyhow within Nigeria.
“There is no big deal about the American travel advisory to its citizens wishing to come to Nigeria.
“The truth of the matter is that we are facing security challenges that are more intense than the situation before now especially with the new dimensions in addition to the existing ones.
“It is a matter of concern. I am of the view that the security and welfare of the citizens should remain paramount.
“We need more personnel in the military and security forces with modern equipment to prosecute the war.
“All hands must be on deck. Citizens must provide useful information while the security agents should be adequately empowered with modern weapons to enable them to act fast whenever information is provided.
“I am scared and worried because I don’t have anywhere to run to. Right now I don’t have a visa to any country.
“Nigeria is the only country that I have that is why I am so passionate about my country. I believe so much in this country that is why I don’t travel out for my holidays.
“I spend all my holidays travelling from one state to another with members of my family. That is why the current security situation is of great concern to me.”