By DAYO ADESULU
The Federal Government has moved to clarify growing public concerns over the presence of United States troops in Nigeria, stressing that American personnel deployed to the country are not engaged in combat operations but are strictly providing intelligence support and specialised training to aid counter-terrorism efforts.
The clarification followed an announcement by the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM), which confirmed that a small team of U.S. military personnel had been deployed to Nigeria at the request of the Nigerian government. The disclosure reignited national debate, particularly around issues of sovereignty, foreign military presence, and Nigeria’s long-running fight against terrorism.
AFRICOM Explains Purpose of US Troops in Nigeria
Speaking in Dakar, Senegal, AFRICOM Commander, General Dagvin Anderson, said the deployment was narrowly defined and designed to support Nigeria’s security architecture without infringing on its independence.
According to Anderson, the U.S. troops in Nigeria are focused solely on intelligence assistance and capacity-building, providing capabilities that Nigeria specifically requested as it confronts evolving terrorist threats.
“Our partnership with Nigeria is a great example of cooperation with a willing and capable ally,” Anderson said. “Nigeria requested unique capabilities that only the United States can provide, and our role is limited to that request.”
AFRICOM emphasised that the deployment does not include frontline combat troops and remains under the coordination of Nigerian authorities.
Defence Minister Addresses Sovereignty Concerns
The announcement, however, sparked anxiety among sections of the public, with some Nigerians expressing fears that foreign military involvement could undermine national sovereignty.
In response, the Minister of Defence, General Christopher Musa (rtd), addressed the issue in an interview with the BBC, reassuring citizens that Nigeria remains firmly in control of its security operations.
According to Musa, the American personnel constitute a small advisory team whose responsibilities are limited to intelligence gathering and training support. He stressed that they are not engaged in active combat.
“They are not combat troops,” Musa said. “They are here strictly in an advisory and intelligence-support capacity, working in collaboration with Nigerian forces.”
The Defence Minister declined to disclose sensitive details such as the size of the team, their exact locations, arrival dates, or duration of stay, citing security considerations.
Background of Renewed Security Cooperation
Observers note that the latest deployment aligns with renewed international collaboration against terrorism and violent extremism in Nigeria and the wider Sahel region.
On December 25, 2025, the United States military, working alongside the Armed Forces of Nigeria, conducted air interdiction operations across parts of the North-West and North-Central regions. The operations targeted terrorist networks and criminal groups responsible for widespread insecurity.
Security analysts say the evolving nature of terrorism in the region has made intelligence sharing and technical cooperation increasingly critical.
APC Reaffirms Nigeria’s Independence
As public debate intensified, the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) also weighed in, dismissing claims that the presence of US troops in Nigeria compromises the country’s sovereignty.
Speaking on ARISE Television, the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Mr. Felix Morka, said the cooperation between Nigeria and the United States remains fully coordinated and mutually agreed.
“What we know is that the Nigerian government and the United States are working very closely to defeat terrorism in our country,” Morka said.
He described terrorism as a major national tragedy that has inflicted immense pain on innocent Nigerians, adding that President Bola Tinubu remains resolute in deploying all lawful and strategic measures to restore security nationwide.
“No Foreign Intervention,” APC Insists
Morka dismissed suggestions that the partnership amounted to foreign intervention, noting that such concerns usually arise when host nations are excluded from decision-making — a situation he said does not apply to Nigeria.
“That is not the case here,” he said. “This is a coordinated effort. Both governments are fully involved in all decisions, and whatever is agreed at the table is what will be implemented.”
According to him, the overriding priority of the collaboration is the protection of Nigerian lives and the defeat of terrorist groups threatening national stability.
Nigeria Identified as Key US Counter-Terrorism Partner
The clarification aligns with earlier statements by AFRICOM, which identified Nigeria as a key partner in the global campaign against ISIS and Al-Qaeda affiliates operating in West Africa and the Sahel.
During a virtual media briefing on February 3, 2026, General Anderson said the growing threat posed by extremist groups underscores the urgency of sustained regional and international cooperation.
Security experts argue that intelligence-driven partnerships, rather than large-scale foreign troop deployments, are increasingly shaping modern counter-terrorism strategies.
Balancing Security Cooperation and National Confidence
As Nigeria continues to confront terrorism, banditry, and violent extremism, the debate highlights the delicate balance between leveraging international partnerships and maintaining public confidence in national sovereignty.
For now, the Federal Government insists that the presence of US troops in Nigeria remains limited, controlled, and firmly aligned with Nigeria’s security priorities.
#USTroopsInNigeria #CounterTerrorism #NationalSecurity #AFRICOM #NigeriaUSRelations #Sovereignty #Terrorism

