The Cheer News
Breaking News

Israeli Airstrikes Kill Nine, Injure 118 in Yemen’s Capital Sanaa and al-Jawf

By DAYO ADESULU

At least nine people have been killed and 118 wounded after Israeli airstrikes targeted Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, and parts of al-Jawf governorate late Wednesday.

The Yemeni Ministry of Health confirmed the casualties, describing the incident as “Israeli aggression” and warning that the death toll could rise as rescue operations continue in devastated neighborhoods.

Airstrikes Target Civilian and Government Sites

According to officials, the bombardment struck residential areas, government compounds, and health facilities. Areas hit included:

Al-Tahrir district in Sanaa, where homes were destroyed.

A medical facility on al-Sitteen Street.

A local government compound in al-Hazm, the capital of al-Jawf.

Civil defence teams worked into the night, battling fires and attempting to rescue survivors trapped beneath rubble.

Houthi-run Al Masirah TV reported that Israeli warplanes hit a health sector facility in southwest Sanaa and the Moral Guidance Headquarters in al-Hazm, leading to multiple deaths and injuries.

Houthi Response

Houthi military spokesperson Yahya Saree claimed the group used surface-to-air missiles against Israeli fighter jets, forcing some to retreat before releasing their weapons.

“Our air defences launched several missiles while confronting the Zionist aggression,” Saree said via Telegram, as quoted by Al Jazeera. “Some combat formations were forced to leave before carrying out their attack, and the bulk of the assault was thwarted.”

Israel Confirms Strikes

In a statement, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) confirmed the air raids, saying they targeted “military camps, the Houthis’ public relations headquarters, and a fuel storage facility used by the terrorist regime.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the strikes were retaliation for a Houthi drone attack on Ramon Airport in Israel earlier this week.

“This did not weaken our hand,” Netanyahu posted on X. “We struck them again today at their terror facilities and bases, and we will continue to strike. Anyone who attacks us – we will reach them.”

Ongoing Tensions

The escalation comes just 24 hours after Israel bombed Hamas leaders in Doha, Qatar, widening the scope of its regional confrontations.

 

Humanitarian groups fear that the strikes on civilian areas in Yemen could further deepen the crisis in a country already battling famine, displacement, and years of war.

Related posts

Wike Orders Employees In Government House To Go For COVID-19 Tests

EDITOR

Court Resumes Hearing On Sowore’s #RevolutionNow Wednesday

EDITOR

Naira’s Exchange Rate Update: Depreciation in Parallel Market and Appreciation in NAFEM

EDITOR

Leave a Comment