LaLiga League has confirmed the suspension of its competition for the next two matchdays.
The Madrid players have been placed in quarantine for 15 days after a member of their sister basketball team tested positive for COVID-19.
The statement read: “LaLiga has decided given the circumstances that have come to light this morning, such as the quarantine put in place at Real Madrid and possible cases at other clubs, to continue with the next phase of the protocol of action against Covid-19.
“In accordance with measures established in the Royal Decree 664/1997 of May 12, it has been agreed that the competition will be suspended for the next two matchdays.
“Said decision will be re-evaluated after the completion of the quarantines undertaken in the affected clubs and in other possible situations that may arise.”
READ ALSO: Coronavirus: La Liga Suspended For 2 Weeks
Games were already scheduled to take place behind closed doors in Spain but further action has now been taken following this latest development.
The move makes it almost certain that Manchester City’s Champions League round-of-16 second-leg clash against Real next Tuesday at the Etihad will be postponed.
Real Madrid said in a statement: “Real Madrid reports that a player from our first basketball team has tested positive after testing for the COVID-19 coronavirus.
“Since then, the recommendation has been made to quarantine both the basketball first team and the football first team, given that the two squads share facilities in Madrid.
“Likewise, it has been decided to close the facilities of our sports city and it is also recommended that all Real Madrid personnel who provide their services in Real Madrid City remain in quarantine.”
Source: Talk sports