The Cheer News
Brands Breaking News

Dangote Recognized As Most Admired Among Top 100 African Brands

Among the top 100 brands on the continent, the Dangote brand has once again been named the Most Admired African Brand for the sixth consecutive year.

When respondents were asked to name a specific African brand, Dangote came out on top, with South African telecoms major MTN coming in second and Digital Satellite Television (DSTV) coming in third.

In addition, Dangote was named the top African Pride brand, closely followed in second and third place, respectively, by Ethiopian Airlines and MTN.

The Dangote brand earned the second spot in Sustainability, a new category that highlights companies that positively impact society and the environment, demonstrating its dedication to doing good for people and the environment.

These rankings were announced in Johannesburg, South Africa, during the 13th Annual Brand Africa 100: Africa’s Best Brands 2023 event. The rankings were based on a survey and conducted by Geopoll, Kantar, and Brand Leadership across 32 African countries, which collectively represent more than 85% of the continent’s GDP and population.

Brand Africa, in its statement unveiling the rankings, revealed that MTN and Dangote took the first and second positions, respectively, in a new category highlighting brands that prioritize purpose over profit. Meanwhile, UNICEF emerged as the top NGO, and Coca-Cola was recognized as the leading non-African brand.

In the specific category of financial services, Africa’s oldest banking group, Standard Bank, claimed the number one spot as the most admired brand in Africa. This displaced GTBank, which had held the top position for the past three years but faced challenges from recent UK regulatory issues, service difficulties, and a tough competitive environment. The financial services category was dominated by South African (6) and Nigerian (6) brands, accounting for 48% of the rankings. The USA (4), led by VISA, made up 16% of the Top 25 brands, contributing to a total of 64%.

In the media category, DSTV, the consumer brand of Multichoice Group, retained its prominent position as the most admired media brand in Africa, surpassing BBC and CNN. Non-African media brands continue to dominate the continent, representing 76% of the Top 25 brands.

Despite a decline in the share of African brands in the Top 100 most admired brands in Africa to 14%, Dangote retained its number one position for the sixth consecutive year. Non-African brands are solidifying their presence in the continent, causing concern for Thebe Ikalafeng, the founder and chairman of Brand Africa. He emphasized the urgent need to build trust in African brands and support the “Made in Africa” initiative.

“It is concerning that despite the momentum in operationalizing the AfCFTA, rising internal pride in continent albeit against global economic challenges, that African consumers have reverted to their trusted, mostly non-Africa brands, rather than give African brands a chance,” he stated.

Bernard Okasi, the Director of Research at GeoPoll, the lead data collection partner since 2015, highlighted the effectiveness of using mobile platforms to reach and engage respondents across the continent. This approach has allowed for an increased number of countries and a larger sample size, contributing to a more comprehensive and consistent survey of Africa’s leading brands.

In his words, “With an ever increasing number of countries, greater sample size, and the growth of mobile across the continent, more than ever, using mobile continues to prove to be an effective tool to reach and access respondents across the continent”.

READ ALSO:

Karin Du Chenne, the Chief Growth Officer Africa Middle East for Kantar, who has been the insight lead for Brand Africa since its inception in 2010, noted that despite the growth in countries and sample sizes, the survey consistently reveals the leading brands in the continent, though not yet to Africa’s advantage.

The Group Chief of Branding and Communication at Dangote Industries Limited, Anthony Chiejina, expressed his gratitude for Dangote’s selection as the most admired indigenous brand in Africa. He emphasised the Dangote brand’s strong nationalistic connotations, which stand for industrialization, self-sufficiency, affluence, power, and productivity.

The Dangote Petroleum Refinery & Petrochemical complex’s recent commissioning serves to further underline the brand’s importance to Nigeria’s rise in the world and regional development.

Since its founding in 2010, Brand Africa has worked to promote the competitiveness, connectivity, and favourable perception of the continent.

Related posts

Why Kanu Expels Four IPOB Acclaimed Members

EDITOR

Chancellor Merkel’s Africa Envoy, H.E. Günter Nooke, leads discussion on German investments in Africa

LEVI JOHNSON

We’ll Enforce Lockdown For Another 30-Day – El-Rufai

EDITOR

Leave a Comment