It was really not a sight to behold as fire on Tuesday razed a 42-year-old storey building situated at Ijokodo area of Ibadan.
The building which went up in flames started in the afternoon destroyed property worth several millions of naira. It was gathered that the storey building was built in 1978.
Eye witnessed said that the fire went out of control when a young girl attempted to put on a gas cooker in the kitchen. Though the girl escaped unhurt, the fire reportedly razed the whole building.
Unlike other fire incidents in the city, the firefighters responded on time and were able to prevent the raging fire from spreading to other buildings in the area.
The Senior Special Assistant to the state Governor on Better Education Service Delivery For All, Sunday Adeyanju, who rushed to the scene, said: “Firefighters from the state and the federal fire service have been battling to quell the fire. About three fire trucks were deployed to arrest the situation.
READ ALSO: Buhari Reverses Suspension of REA MD
We advise members of the public to be safety conscious and guide against tragedies.” One of the tenants in the building, Johnson Awotoye, said: “I heard a call for help shortly after returning from office.
Before we got to know what was happening, smoke was everywhere. “The woman who raised an alarm said she was about to take her bath when she noticed that there was a fire in the house.
We moved to the kitchen and saw a ball of fire with thick smoke. We recovered an international passport belonging to the landlord. “I got to this house four months ago.
I came from the office at 2:10 p.m. As I was trying to rest, I heard the cry for help. The fire started from the kitchen. We went to the electric source to remove the fuse because there was light at the time.”