By DAYO ADESULU
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) says it has eliminated a senior commander of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad militant group who allegedly infiltrated Kibbutz Be’eri during the October 7, 2023 attacks and participated in the abduction of an Israeli civilian.
According to the IDF, the strike was carried out on Sunday in the Khan Yunis area of the southern Gaza Strip, killing Tareq Anwar Khamis Ra’i, whom the military identified as a company commander in Islamic Jihad’s supply unit.
The IDF said Ra’i was involved in the October 7 massacre, when Hamas-led militants launched a large-scale attack on southern Israel, killing civilians and security personnel and abducting people to Gaza.
IDF Links Commander to Kibbutz Be’eri Attack
The Israeli military alleged that Ra’i infiltrated Kibbutz Be’eri during the October 7 attack and took part in abducting an Israeli civilian.
Be’eri was among the Israeli communities severely affected during the assault. The attack resulted in numerous civilian deaths and kidnappings, making the kibbutz one of the focal points of the events that triggered the ongoing Israel-Gaza war.
The IDF said Ra’i later continued to participate in militant activities and was involved in planning and advancing attacks against Israeli civilians and Israeli troops.
“Recently, the terrorist advanced terror attacks against IDF troops and Israeli civilians,” the military said, adding that the strike was conducted to remove what it described as an immediate threat.
Strike Conducted in Khan Yunis
The IDF said its forces carried out the operation in the Khan Yunis area after identifying Ra’i as a threat.
The military said it took measures before the strike to reduce the possibility of civilian casualties.
According to the statement, those measures included the use of precise munitions and aerial surveillance designed to improve the accuracy of the attack and assess conditions in the area.
The IDF did not provide further details about the circumstances of the strike or report whether other casualties occurred.
IDF Says Southern Command Remains Deployed
The Israeli military also said its troops under the Southern Command remain deployed in the Gaza area in accordance with the current agreement.
The IDF said its forces would continue operating against what it described as immediate threats to Israeli troops and civilians.
The announcement comes as Israeli forces continue to maintain military activity in parts of Gaza despite efforts to implement security arrangements and agreements aimed at reducing hostilities.
The IDF maintains that its operations are focused on preventing further attacks and dismantling militant capabilities.
Why the Killing Matters
The reported elimination of Ra’i is significant because the IDF directly linked him to both the October 7 attack and the subsequent militant operations against Israeli forces and civilians.
For Israel, targeting individuals accused of participating in the October 7 attacks remains a central element of its military campaign. The government and military have repeatedly vowed to pursue those responsible for the killings and kidnappings.
However, Israeli military operations in Gaza remain highly controversial because of the enormous civilian toll and humanitarian crisis caused by the conflict. Claims regarding individual targets and battlefield incidents should therefore be assessed against independently verified evidence where available.
The October 7 Attack and Its Aftermath
The October 7, 2023 attack marked a major turning point in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Hamas and other armed groups launched attacks from Gaza into southern Israel, targeting military positions and communities.
The assault resulted in large numbers of deaths and the capture of Israeli and foreign nationals who were taken into Gaza.
Israel responded with an extensive military campaign in Gaza aimed at Hamas and other militant organizations, including Palestinian Islamic Jihad.
Since then, Israeli forces have conducted repeated operations across the Gaza Strip, while international organizations have repeatedly warned about the humanitarian consequences for civilians.
What Happens Next?
The IDF’s Southern Command is expected to maintain operations against what the military considers immediate security threats.
The reported killing of Ra’i also illustrates Israel’s continued focus on commanders and operatives allegedly connected to the October 7 attack.
At the same time, the situation remains fluid, with military activity, negotiations and humanitarian concerns continuing to shape developments in Gaza.
The IDF said its forces would continue operating in accordance with the applicable agreement while taking action against threats to Israeli troops and civilians.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who was Tareq Anwar Khamis Ra’i?
The IDF identified Ra’i as a company commander in the supply unit of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad militant organization.
What does the IDF accuse him of doing on October 7?
The IDF said Ra’i infiltrated Kibbutz Be’eri during the October 7, 2023 attack and participated in the abduction of an Israeli civilian.
Where was Ra’i killed?
The IDF said he was killed in a strike in the Khan Yunis area of southern Gaza.
Why did the IDF say it targeted him?
The military said Ra’i had recently been involved in advancing attacks against Israeli troops and civilians and described him as an immediate threat.
Did the IDF say it took precautions to protect civilians?
Yes. The military said it used precise munitions and aerial surveillance before carrying out the strike to mitigate potential harm to civilians.
Conclusion
The IDF’s announcement adds another alleged October 7 participant to the list of Islamic Jihad operatives Israel says it has targeted during the Gaza war. The military said Tareq Anwar Khamis Ra’i was involved in the infiltration of Kibbutz Be’eri and the abduction of an Israeli civilian before later advancing attacks against Israeli forces and civilians.
While the IDF says the operation was intended to remove an immediate threat and that precautions were taken to limit civilian harm, the broader conflict continues to raise serious security, humanitarian and political concerns.
#Israel #Gaza #IDF #IslamicJihad #KhanYunis #KibbutzBeeri #October7 #MiddleEast #IsraelGazaWar #TCNEWS

